In health industries, there is a huge amount of data regarding patient health, payments, Insurance, and other medical data that needs to be shared across systems and people to help provide better healthcare services. Healthcare institutions need to treat this data with utmost care and adhere to agreed-upon standards that govern all systems and entities involved. They can’t serve their patients with utmost care unless they adhere to standards and have a healthcare API ecosystem in place. With the advancements of healthcare API, institutions can share this information among the internal team & other third parties, which can be further utilized to create new apps and products that benefit the complete health industry.Nowadays, when organizations were moving towards the cloud and adopting cloud-based services, an effective approach called ‘API-First’ came to the market to add more clarity in the development task. There is a large amount of information left unused in the departments, representing a huge loss of opportunities. API-First strategy can be very useful in dealing with such situations. In this write-up, we’ll emphasize the benefits and working of API-first strategy across healthcare companies.
The Exponential Growth of Healthcare API Ecosystem Services & API-First Approach
Everyone is consuming information be it humans or software. However, humans utilize data via applications, laptops, tablets, or desktops. Does your organization have such applications that enable you to work better across all devices? If not, how will you show the information to your customers effortlessly on all devices? Here comes the role of the Application Programming Interface (API). When you integrate API into the healthcare operations, it allows your company to have individual autonomous services. Furthermore, it also enables you to have the ultimate user experience (UX) that catches several eyeballs on various devices.
The Astonishing Benefits of API-first Strategy In Health Companies
The idea of implementing an API-first strategy to healthcare companies provides numerous benefits, including but not limited to the following:
- Minimize the Failure Risk
Today, APIs have become a part of every business, and it doesn’t make any difference whether you have marketing, consumer-facing apps, or sales to the communication industry. It can have both negative and positive effects on the business, depending on the situation. But, how it reduces the risk of failure is the real question. Right? Due to consistency and reliability factors, it reduces the failure risk to a greater extent. Moreover, the introduction of the API-first approach is a golden opportunity, especially for developers because its usage is quite easy, or somewhere just like a cakewalk.
- Outstanding Developer Experience
Always note down that a good developer experience is equal to the groundbreaking success of an API project. Simply, one can say developer experience is directly proportional to the APIs project success. The API-first strategy provides you almost 100% assurance that your developers will have a positive experience if you integrate healthcare API ecosystem services in your healthcare enterprise. Additionally, it enables you to have well-maintained, well-designed & reusable APIs that leave developers with a positive experience by saving their time and efforts as codes are reusable.
- Lower Development Application Costings
The API-first approach minimizes the development cost by further reducing the need for creating the APIs from scratch. However, API code can be re-used and developed without wasting time, cost, and effort. Isn’t that great? Moreover, it helps developers to solve issues persisting before writing any code, which in turn prevents them from facing problems at the time of integrating APIs with applications. Isn’t that a cool advantage?
- Parallel Working of Developers Team
The API-first strategy promotes parallel working of developers by allowing them to mock APIs. Firstly, they create a contract between the services, allowing their team members to work on multiple APIs simultaneously. This way, developers need not wait for updates or if they want to move on to the next APIs.How To Plan Your API-First Strategy In Healthcare API Business?Now, you have insights into the plethora of benefits of the API-first approach to healthcare companies, but how should one go about planning & implementing this approach? To get more ideas for this, here we have come up with a few things that should be part of your API-first strategy.
- Research & Gathering of Ideas- Identifying your healthcare services and products and figuring out the kind of APIs that should be built is the first step in the planning of the API-first approach.
- Meeting With Stakeholders– After analyzing and gathering all information, discuss it with stakeholders and ask for your suggestions.
- Designing of API For Better User Experience- It’s time to design an amazing user interface for an excellent user experience.
- Style Guide Creation- Now, create a comprehensive, cohesive style guide that maintains consistency among the team members building the services.
- API Governance Implementation- API Governance aids in enforcing established standards and reinforcing desired outcomes.
- Automate The Process- By automating the process with API sandbox, one can generate API documentation, style validation, API versioning & mocking.
- Tracking & Management of API Portfolio- For avoiding duplicate code & creating robust and redundant APIs, one must track & measure the performance of the API project.
- Internal Development Portfolio- The last step is the creation of one central place for developers where all APIs information will be stored. PI specification, documentation, contracts, etc.
If you are looking for a healthcare API, you can contact DigitalAPICraft. Our API products will assist you in turning digital issues into competitive advantages and generating bigger profits from your API projects on a hands-on basis.